Registration FAQ

From ControlWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

This page has been made available to answer common questions about registration. However, it is your bulletin that ultimately governs your degree. If the information here conflicts with your bulletin, please see your advisor.


Undergraduate Curriculum

Advising Presentation

Click here for the presentation

Important Checks

1. GPA needs to be > 2.0 in major to graduate

2. Seniors are strongly advised to have an audit, they need to request this from the registrar

Where is EGGN381 or DCGN381?

Intro to Circuits is now EGGN281

Transfer Credits

I am transferring from Red Rocks. Do my humanities and economics courses transfer, and which required CSM courses will they count towards?

Many of these courses will transfer. The LAIS and Economics departments will determine what transfers and arrange to give you credit.

Free Electives

What can I take at CSM to fulfill the requirements for free electives?

Any courses, adding up to at least the required number of hours, can fill the free electives, including math, liberal arts, ROTC, and physical education. However, we encourage students to design a coordinated set of courses to fulfill their special interests. You can also use these free electives to help fulfill the requirements for a minor in another option, or an area of special interest (AOI).

Can I use courses taken elsewhere to fulfill requirements for free electives?

We allow transfer credit for free electives from other schools provided that it's a valid undergraduate course (not a short course, or high-school level). Submit the request to the admissions office.

Double Majors

Can I take both electrical and mechanical specialties?

Yes, you can get an Engineering degree with two specialties, such as electrical and mechanical. You can also double major in engineering physics and an EG specialty. You have to fulfill the requirements for both specialties. You can also get a specialty in one of them and get an Area of Interest (AOI) in the other, which requires fewer hours (12). You cannot get a minor in the other specialty (18 hours) because the Engineering Division really just gives one degree, and you can’t get a minor and a major in the same degree.

Switching from another program

I want to switch to Engineering:EE from Physics. Can I use any of my courses replace EGGN courses?

In order to have a different course replace a course required for the EE degree, you must fill out a course replacement form and get it signed by your advisor and the department head. Generally,

  • you _can_ use PHGN215 as a replacement for DCGN/EGGN381.
  • you _can_ use PHGN315 as a replacement for EGGN250.
  • you _can_ use PHGN311 as a replacement for MATH348.

However, most other courses do not have natural replacements. In particular,

  • you _cannot_ use PHGN384 as a replacement for EGGN334 (Field Session)
  • you _cannot_ use PHGN317 as a replacement for EGGN384. You may be able to request an independent study in order to complete the EGGN384 labs if allowed by the instructor. In this case, this independent study plus PHGN317 can replace EGGN384.

Field Session

When should I take field session?

You should take field session the summer after your junior year. You should do this regardless of what catalog you are following

What are the pre-requisites for field session?

You must have taken both EG 382 and 388, as well as at least two out of the four courses EG 384, 385, 389 and Epics II.

Credit for Foreign Language Courses

If I took a foreign language in high school, should I not take the introductory course in that language at CSM?

According to the undergraduate bulletin, you are not allowed to get graduation credit for an introductory course in a foreign language if you have taken it in high school (or have had a semester at another college). The exact details are spelled out in the bulletin, in the section describing the LIFL courses.

H&SS Electives

How do I choose my 9 credits of Humanities and Social Sciences cluster electives?

Effective Fall 2007, clusters have been discontinued. Instead, the 3 Humanities and Social Sciences courses must be taken from a list of General Education Restricted Electives. The discontinuance of the Clusters Requirement automatically applies to all undergraduate students, irrespective of which Bulletin they are on; therefore, students do not need to take any action to “switch” themselves to the new H&SS GenEd requirement. In addition, any Cluster courses that students have already completed will automatically apply towards meeting the new H&SS GenEd requirement.

The rules for choosing your H&SS electives can be found on page 91 of the 2007-2008 bulletin (here) and page 97 of the 2008-2009 bulletin (here) Note that at least one course must be 400 level. Also, only two of the courses can be a language, and a language course cannot be used to satisfy the 400 level requirement.

Can I put off SYGN200, Human Systems?

Note that SYGN200 is a pre-requisite or co-requisite for most H&SS electives, so the earlier you can take this, the better.

EE Electives

What is the list of EE electives?

The EE electives (for the 2008-2009 bulletin) are

EGGN325   Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
EGGN400   Introduction to Robotics
EGGN417   Modern Control Design
EGGN430   Biomedical Instrumentation
EGGN460   Numerical Methods for Engineers
EGGN482   Microcomputer Architecture and Interfacing
EGGN483   Analog and Digital Communications Systems
EGGN484   Power Systems Analysis
EGGN485   Introduction to High Power Electronics
EGGN486 Practical Design of Small Renewable Energy Systems
EGGN487   Advanced Power Systems Laboratory
CSCI341   Machine Organization & Assembly Language Programming
MATH334   Introduction to Probability
MATH335   Introduction to Statistics 
CSCI/MATH440 Parallel Computing for Scientists and Engineers
MATH455   Partial Differential Equations
PHGN300   Modern Physics
PHGN320   Modern Physics II
PHGN412   Mathematical Physics
PHGN435   Interdisciplinary Microelectronics Processing Laboratory
PHGN440*  Solid State Physics Applications and Phenomena
PHGN441   Solid State Physics Applications
PHGN462   Electromagnetic Waves and Optical Physics
EE special topics and graduate courses

If you are on a previous bulletin, you may still use these courses to satisfy your EE electives, but you should submit a course substitution form.

(*) if you select PHGN 440, the pre-requisite of PHGN 320 is strongly recommended.

How can I take 500 level courses as an undergraduate?

You must have a GPA of at least 2.5, and obtain the necessary form from the Registrar.

What is a recommended sequence for EE electives?

If you have particular interests, I would recommend selecting from:

Technical Area

Relevant Junior Level Courses

(If you liked these courses, you will probably like the EE electives)
Recommended EE Electives Other EE Electives of interest
Signal Processing EGGN 388 EGGN 482 EGGN 488 EGGN 515 EGGN 510 EGGN 511 EGGN 519
Energy Systems EGGN 385 EGGN 389 EGGN 484 EGGN 485 EGGN 486 EGGN 487 n/a
Microelectronics EGGN 385 PHGN 300 PHGN 320 PHGN 440 PHGN 441 PHGN 435 PHGN 412
Computers/Embedded Systems EGGN 384 EGGN 482 CSCI 341 CSCI 440 EGGN 521
Dynamic System Control EGGN 307 EGGN 417 EGGN 515 EGGN 517 EGGN 518 EGGN 521
Robotics EGGN 307 EGGN 384 EGGN 400 EGGN 417 EGGN 482 EGGN 514 EGGN 518 EGGN 521
Biomedical n/a EGGN 325 EGGN 430 EGGN510 EGGN 482

Graduate Curriculum

How do I Change from non-thesis to thesis based Masters ?

The Engineering Division needs to inform the graduate office of this change. To initiate this process, you should contact the chair of the departmental graduate curriculum committee

Can I take courses at other Colorado universities ?

From the 2008-2009 CSM Graduate bulletin (page 23) >>

Reciprocal Registration

Under the Exchange Agreement Between the State Supported Institutions in Northern Colorado, CSM graduate students who are paying full-time tuition may take courses at Colorado State University, University of Northern Colorado, and University of Colorado (Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs, and the Health Sciences Center) at no charge by completing the request form and meeting the required conditions on registration and tuition, course load, and course and space availability. Request forms are available from the Registrar’s office.

Personal tools